As someone who loves a good meal, cooking one, came to me as a natural passion. I belong to a family where meal times consisted of not just food, but also noisy conversation centered around the events of the day and discussing the menu for the next. (ah yes, we are a greedy lot! )

For the most part of my life so far, my contribution in the kitchen was assisting mom and my duties were limited, to chopping veggies and laying the table. Then along came the great Indian wedding, and I was suddenly the queen of my very own kingdom. My curiosity about this magical world, coupled with an enthusiastic sous-chef (my husband, Vineet), led me to take on the challenge of preparing meals on a daily basis, and not succumbing to the convenience of hiring a cook.

This blog is a product of my experiments with food (not all are life threatening :D) for my fellow culinary enthusiasts - especially the newly weds and hungry bachelors and is dedicated to the women who've inspired me in the kitchen;
Aji (s),Ma and Nigella Lawson.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Dates wrapped in Bacon

I like Dates. I like Bacon. I like Pistachios. And, I LOVE Feta cheese.
But I had never imagined all of these coming together to create a burst of sweet-salty-nutty-bacony magic!
I first sampled these gorgeous little parcels at a Thanksgiving dinner that a friend from work hosted in November, and I knew I HAD to try these myself! So since Vanessa (god bless her for introducing me to these!) was away vacationing, I googled the recipe, and found it on Martha Stewarts website. My soul was now at peace!
Sigh! Just typing up this recipe is making me want these NOW!

Ingredients:
15-20 Seedless Dates (soft)
1 packet Bacon
2-3 tbsp crumbled Feta cheese
15-20 shelled Pistachios

Method:
1.  Preheat the Oven to 200 deg. C.

2.  Stuff each Date with a single Pistachio and some crumbled feta cheese.



3. Cut a slice of Bacon into half. Lay the date on top of the bacon, and gently roll into a little parcel, as shown in the picture on the right.





4. Line a baking sheet with Aluminum foil, and arrange the bacon wrapped dates, as shown in the picture on the left.





5.  Bake in the pre-heated oven @ 200 deg C for 10-12 minutes, or till bacon begins to turn golden brown. Remove from the oven, turn the parcels around to cook the underside. Stick the baking tray back into the oven, and bake till the bacon is browned and crispy, and sizzling!

6. Wait for these to cool slightly before you pounce on them, or you will wind up with a scalded tongue (from the trapped heat inside!) and wont be able to enjoy the rest of your meal :) Serve these with toothpicks, and Eat Up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment