As someone who loves a good meal, cooking one, came to me as a natural passion. I belong to a family where meal times consisted of not just food, but also noisy conversation centered around the events of the day and discussing the menu for the next. (ah yes, we are a greedy lot! )

For the most part of my life so far, my contribution in the kitchen was assisting mom and my duties were limited, to chopping veggies and laying the table. Then along came the great Indian wedding, and I was suddenly the queen of my very own kingdom. My curiosity about this magical world, coupled with an enthusiastic sous-chef (my husband, Vineet), led me to take on the challenge of preparing meals on a daily basis, and not succumbing to the convenience of hiring a cook.

This blog is a product of my experiments with food (not all are life threatening :D) for my fellow culinary enthusiasts - especially the newly weds and hungry bachelors and is dedicated to the women who've inspired me in the kitchen;
Aji (s),Ma and Nigella Lawson.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Simple Mushroom Soup

Although he isn't a regular in the kitchen, my grand dad always cooks with a lot of love and enthusiasm. He makes a few signature "Baba" dishes that have been our favorites since we were kids. Mushroom soup isn't something that kids normally develop a taste for but the way Baba makes it, made it desirable. His recipes almost always involve a generous quantity of butter and cream (but then again, he also belongs to a generation that was 'really' active and did not spend a better part of their day parked in front of a computer, getting up only to refill their coffee mugs!) which are probably what that make his cooking SO good! It rained cats, dogs and monkeys the other day, and for standard Singapore weather it was surprisingly cool. It called for something warm and comforting, and since I had some mushrooms stashed in the fridge from the previous nights pasta, I turned to Baba's mushroom soup for dinner. But of course, since we're trying to eat as healthy as possible, I altered his original recipe and tailored it to make for a super healthy, delicious and light weeknight dinner.

Ingredients:
- 1 pkt white buttom Mushrooms
- 1 tsp Olive Oil / butter
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 Vegetable stock cubes (or chicken)
- 2 tbsp All-purpose flour (maida)
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1 tbsp heavy Cream

Method:
1.) Heat the oil in a saucepan. Saute the garlic and onion till they take on some colour. Add the mushrooms when the onions are golden brown. Add the flour to the mushrooms and stir it in to mix well. Stir in the milk and switch off the heat.
2.) Allow the mushrooms to cool down a little. Puree them on 'pulse' mode in a blender till smooth, or chunky if you like. Transfer back into the sauce pan on low heat.
3.) Dissolve the vegetable stock cubes in 1 cup of hot water and milk. Pour into the pureed mushrooms in the saucepan and bring to a slow boil.
4.) Serve up with a swirl of cream and some freshly cracked black pepper. Enjoy with some warm garlic toast.

1 comment:

  1. Tried the soup and it was awesome. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete