As someone who loves a good meal, cooking one, came to me as a natural passion. I belong to a family where meal times consisted of not just food, but also noisy conversation centered around the events of the day and discussing the menu for the next. (ah yes, we are a greedy lot! )

For the most part of my life so far, my contribution in the kitchen was assisting mom and my duties were limited, to chopping veggies and laying the table. Then along came the great Indian wedding, and I was suddenly the queen of my very own kingdom. My curiosity about this magical world, coupled with an enthusiastic sous-chef (my husband, Vineet), led me to take on the challenge of preparing meals on a daily basis, and not succumbing to the convenience of hiring a cook.

This blog is a product of my experiments with food (not all are life threatening :D) for my fellow culinary enthusiasts - especially the newly weds and hungry bachelors and is dedicated to the women who've inspired me in the kitchen;
Aji (s),Ma and Nigella Lawson.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Wine spiked Spinach & Mushroom Pasta

Earlier this week, I made this for dinner at the end of a busy day. I say this to reinforce that for something that was so delicious & healthy, it was ridiculously easy. I used a packet of mixed mushrooms (white button, brown mushrooms & portobello) but even plain white button mushrooms will be just as delicious.
I made this using whole Wheat pasta, since I wanted to make this as healthy as possible. For those of you who are curious about the specific health benefits of using whole wheat pasta over refined flour pasta, see the following link : http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/Y/yawye/pasta.html

The Cream cheese is an optional ingredient, but it added incredible flavor and gave the sauce a lovely twang & texture. If you want to avoid it or cant find any, you could try using some hung yoghurt instead, and definitely let me know how it turned out!


Ingredients:
- 2 cups whole Wheat Penne pasta, or any other Pasta of your choice
- 1 bunch Spinach, rinsed & leaves roughly chopped
- 8-10 Mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 1-2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp All-purpose flour (maida)
- 2 tbsp Cream cheese
- 1/2 cup White wine
- Salt & Pepper, to taste

Method:

1.) Bring a pot of water to boil. Drizzle in some olive oil and add a couple of teaspoons os Salt. Cook the Pasta according to packet instructions.
2.) Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and saute the garlic till fragrant. Sprinkle the flour and stir steadily to cook the flour for a few seconds. Keep on low flame to keep it from browning.
3.) Slosh the wine into the pan and stir till the mixture begins to bubble and thicken. Add the mushrooms and allow them to cook in the wine.
4.) Stir in the Cream cheese followed by the roughly chopped Spinach. While the spinach wilts and cooks, season the sauce with Salt & freshly cracked black Pepper.
5.) Drain the cooked pasta and add it to the Sauce. Toss gently to ensure its evenly coated.
Serve up with some grated Parmesan cheese and toasted bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment