As someone who loves a good meal, cooking one, came to me as a natural passion. I belong to a family where meal times consisted of not just food, but also noisy conversation centered around the events of the day and discussing the menu for the next. (ah yes, we are a greedy lot! )

For the most part of my life so far, my contribution in the kitchen was assisting mom and my duties were limited, to chopping veggies and laying the table. Then along came the great Indian wedding, and I was suddenly the queen of my very own kingdom. My curiosity about this magical world, coupled with an enthusiastic sous-chef (my husband, Vineet), led me to take on the challenge of preparing meals on a daily basis, and not succumbing to the convenience of hiring a cook.

This blog is a product of my experiments with food (not all are life threatening :D) for my fellow culinary enthusiasts - especially the newly weds and hungry bachelors and is dedicated to the women who've inspired me in the kitchen;
Aji (s),Ma and Nigella Lawson.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Super-Quick Chocolate Mousse

Making desserts is probably my most favorite activity in the realm of cooking, and even more so when it involves chocolate. The best part about using chocolate, is that it goes beautifully with so many ingredients... coffee, rum, nuts, fruit... and yet, its wholesome and delicious all on its own. The greed-inducing glistening dark chocolate, the smoothness of the cream, and slightly bitter aftertaste of the liqueur, makes this chocolate mousse unadulterated evil :) Gelatin gives the mousse a soft jelly-ish consistency. But since I wanted to get this done VERY quickly, I referred Nigella's chocolate mousse recipe which uses marshmallows. I tweaked the flavors a little and voila! I had 6 glasses of Mousse in a 15 minutes!

Ingredients:
- 150 g plain Marshmallows
- 50 g unsalted Butter (soft)
- 250 g Plain dark chocolate (bar or chips)
- 60 ml hot Water
- 250 ml heavy Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 30 or 60 ml Baileys Irish Cream liquer
(Or Dark Rum / or / Black coffee) (as per taste)
- 1/4 cup Almond flakes (toasted) to garnish

Method:
1.) Put the marshmallows, butter, chocolate chips in a non-stick saucepan. Heat gently. Pour the hot water over the mixture to help the marshmallows melt. Keep stirring to keep the mixture from scorching.

2.) While the marshmallows melt, whip the heavy cream & vanilla essence in a seperate bowl till its nice and thick. Fold into the marshmallow mixture gently. Add the Baileys Irish cream or rum at this point and mix gently.

3.) Scoop the mousse while its still warm into tall glasses or dessert bowls. Allow it to set in the refrigerator for atleast an hour or two.

4.) Toast the almond flakes on a non-stick pan or in the oven and sprinkle over the chilled mousse right before serving. Yum!

I have also made another version of this using fresh strawberries. I left out the Rum/Coffee and used only the vanilla essence to flavor the chocolate. Also, I allowed the mousse to cool just a little bit (room temp) in the saucepan itself.
I layered the mousse using fresh sliced strawberries. So, a layer of sliced berries, a scoop of mousse...3 or 4 layers, of glistening chocolate and luscious berries...Mmm... fabulous!

Seriously, does it get any easier than this?

1 comment:

  1. I just made this quick n easy mousse!!!! The plan was to take it for a party in the evening...but I guess its not gonna see the sun set today:-P !!! Chocolate Mousse RIP!!!! Yummy:-D

    ReplyDelete