As someone who loves a good meal, cooking one, came to me as a natural passion. I belong to a family where meal times consisted of not just food, but also noisy conversation centered around the events of the day and discussing the menu for the next. (ah yes, we are a greedy lot! )

For the most part of my life so far, my contribution in the kitchen was assisting mom and my duties were limited, to chopping veggies and laying the table. Then along came the great Indian wedding, and I was suddenly the queen of my very own kingdom. My curiosity about this magical world, coupled with an enthusiastic sous-chef (my husband, Vineet), led me to take on the challenge of preparing meals on a daily basis, and not succumbing to the convenience of hiring a cook.

This blog is a product of my experiments with food (not all are life threatening :D) for my fellow culinary enthusiasts - especially the newly weds and hungry bachelors and is dedicated to the women who've inspired me in the kitchen;
Aji (s),Ma and Nigella Lawson.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Baked Eggs with Tomatoes

This receipe makes for a light dinner for two. Serve it up with some toasted bread with or without a blob of butter. Its best made with cherry tomatoes as they keep their shape and don't wilt  into paste while cooking like ordinary tomatoes do, and also they look so pretty on the plate :)


Ingredients:
1-1/2 tbsp Olive oil
2 medium Onions - finely chopped
1 Red Chilli - fresh, deeseeded and finely chopped
1 Garlic clove - sliced
1 Small bunch Coriander - chopped
500 g Cherry tomatoes - cut into halves
1 tsp Sugar
4 Eggs

Method:
1.  Heat The Oil in a frying pan. Add the chopped Onions, red chillies and garlic and cook for a few minutes until soft.
2.  Add the cherry tomatoes, sugar and part of the chopped coriander and let the mixture bubble away for a few minutes until the sauce is thick.
3.  Using the back of a wooden spoon, make 4 dips in the thick sauce. Crack an Egg into each. Cover with a lid and cook on low heat for about 6-8 minutes till the eggs are done to your liking. Garnish with Coriander and serve!

For a slightly more indulgent version of the same receipe...
Preheat the Oven to 180 deg. C. Once the sauce has thickened as per Step-2, transfer it into a oven-safe baking dish. Make the dips in the sauce and crack the eggs into them as per Step-3. Sprinkle a generous quantity of grated cheese (cheddar, since most of us have that in the fridge anyway) and bake till the Eggs are cooked and the cheese begins to bubble and brown.
Allow it to rest for a few minutes in the oven. Garnish with the chopped coriander and gobble it up! :)

3 comments:

  1. amazing taste n quick 2 cook 2 :) keep it up tani... lv ur blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks so tempting but can I replace sugar with salt and spices?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Shivi, you can leave the sugar out completely if you like... the cherry tomatoes I used were a bit sour, so I used the sugar to cut the sourness a little... but leaving out the sugar will not affect the taste of the dish....Happy eating! :)

    ReplyDelete