As someone who loves a good meal, cooking one, came to me as a natural passion. I belong to a family where meal times consisted of not just food, but also noisy conversation centered around the events of the day and discussing the menu for the next. (ah yes, we are a greedy lot! )

For the most part of my life so far, my contribution in the kitchen was assisting mom and my duties were limited, to chopping veggies and laying the table. Then along came the great Indian wedding, and I was suddenly the queen of my very own kingdom. My curiosity about this magical world, coupled with an enthusiastic sous-chef (my husband, Vineet), led me to take on the challenge of preparing meals on a daily basis, and not succumbing to the convenience of hiring a cook.

This blog is a product of my experiments with food (not all are life threatening :D) for my fellow culinary enthusiasts - especially the newly weds and hungry bachelors and is dedicated to the women who've inspired me in the kitchen;
Aji (s),Ma and Nigella Lawson.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Mushroom Mania!

Yet again, Saturday has rolled around 5 days too late... I'm tired of this nasty habit it has! Well anyway, as always, I like to welcome the weekend with something special... its my way of celebrating two days of much needed R&R at the end of the week. So here go this weekend's specials! A mushroom gravy I concocted by throwing together a few whole spices and some onions, and Baked eggs with tomato, that are perfect with some grilled bread and butter! Bon appetit!!


Ingredients:
1 pkt. White button mushrooms - cut into halves depending on how big/small they are
2 medium Onions - thinly sliced
1 large Tomato - chopped
1 medium Potato - cut into 1/2" cubes and par-boiled
1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic paste - preferably fresh
1 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tbsp Cumin powder (jeera)
1 tbsp Coriander powder (dhania)
1 tsp Red Chilli powder
1 tbsp Black peppercorns- coarsely ground
Whole Spices:
1-1/2" stick Cinnamon + 2 Black Cardamoms + 4-5 Cloves + 1/2 tsp Black peppercorns (whole) + 1 tsp Fennel seeds (saunf) + 1 Bay leaf (tej patta)

Method:
1.  In a small bowl, measure out and set aside all the 'whole' spices. Heat oil, and all add whole spices except the bay leaf. Saute the spices till they're fragrant and start to sizzle and pop. Add the bay leaf and stir for a few seconds before adding the chopped onions and the ginger-garlic paste.

2. Fry the onions till they're nicely browned, stirring occasionally. Add the chopped tomatoes and cover the pan with a lid. Allow the tomatoes to cook in their own juices for a few minutes. Add the potatoes, Turmeric powder and Red chilli powder and cover again for another 2-3 minutes.

3.  Add the chopped mushrooms. Add the remaining powdered spices - the Cumin powder, Coriander powder and coarsely ground peppercorns. Add 1/2 a cup of water and cover and simmer for about 5 minutes till the mushrooms are cooked. Garnish with chopped coriander right before you serve.

4.  Eaten best with fresh rotis, and sliced onions witha squirt of lime, but tastes equally stellar with plain steamed basmati rice.

5. Burrrp! .......umm.... Ooops!

No comments:

Post a Comment