As someone who loves a good meal, cooking one, came to me as a natural passion. I belong to a family where meal times consisted of not just food, but also noisy conversation centered around the events of the day and discussing the menu for the next. (ah yes, we are a greedy lot! )

For the most part of my life so far, my contribution in the kitchen was assisting mom and my duties were limited, to chopping veggies and laying the table. Then along came the great Indian wedding, and I was suddenly the queen of my very own kingdom. My curiosity about this magical world, coupled with an enthusiastic sous-chef (my husband, Vineet), led me to take on the challenge of preparing meals on a daily basis, and not succumbing to the convenience of hiring a cook.

This blog is a product of my experiments with food (not all are life threatening :D) for my fellow culinary enthusiasts - especially the newly weds and hungry bachelors and is dedicated to the women who've inspired me in the kitchen;
Aji (s),Ma and Nigella Lawson.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Cornflakes Chiwda

About 4 weekends ago, I went over-board and bought a BIG box of Cornflakes, since they were on a offer of some sort. We weren't exactly getting around to finishing them before they went stale in the killer humidity that Singapore has, so I decided to put them to better use as a weekend treat for ourselves and some friends. I know, I know... this isn't exactly in perfect alignment with my resolution to have a 'healthy' weekend and all that... but doesn't one deserve a treat sometimes if one has been good?? :) Made with just about 3 tbsp of Olive oil for about 4-1/2 cups of Cornflakes, this isn't all that bad after all :)

Ingredients:
4-1/2 cups Cornflakes
1/2 cup plain Peanuts
1/4 cup roasted Gram seeds (futaane)
1/4 cup golden Raisins
2 green Chillies, chopped into 1/2" pieces
6-7 Curry leaves (kadipatta)
For tempering:
3-4 tbsp Olive oil
1 tbsp Mustard seeds (rai)
1 tbsp Cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tsp Turmeric powder
1 large pinch Asafoetida (heeng)
1 tsp Red Chilli powder
Salt & Sugar, to taste

Method:
1.) Heat a large pressure cooker over a medium flame. Dry roast the cornflakes till they're nice and crispy. About 8-10 mins. Keep turning the cornflakes slowly using a wooden spoon to keep them from browning. Transfer to a large bowl/plate and let them cool.
2.) In the same pressure cooker, add half the quantity of oil. Once its hot, fry the peanuts till they're nicely browned. Remove from the oil using a slotted spoon, and transfer onto a plate to cool.
3.) Add the remaining oil. Allow it to heat and add the Mustard seeds. Allow them to start sputtering and add the Cumin seeds & pinch of Asafoetida. Add the roasted gram seeds and fry for a few minutes till they're lightly browned.
4.) Add the Raisins + Turmeric powder + red Chilli powder + chopped Green chillies & + Curry leaves. Continue to stir to keep the mixture from burning.
5.) Add the Cornflakes followed by the fried Peanuts. Add the Salt & Sugar. Stir gently to coat the cornflakes nicely in the tempering. Switch off the flame and allow the Chiwda to cool before you pounce on it :) Eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment