As someone who loves a good meal, cooking one, came to me as a natural passion. I belong to a family where meal times consisted of not just food, but also noisy conversation centered around the events of the day and discussing the menu for the next. (ah yes, we are a greedy lot! )

For the most part of my life so far, my contribution in the kitchen was assisting mom and my duties were limited, to chopping veggies and laying the table. Then along came the great Indian wedding, and I was suddenly the queen of my very own kingdom. My curiosity about this magical world, coupled with an enthusiastic sous-chef (my husband, Vineet), led me to take on the challenge of preparing meals on a daily basis, and not succumbing to the convenience of hiring a cook.

This blog is a product of my experiments with food (not all are life threatening :D) for my fellow culinary enthusiasts - especially the newly weds and hungry bachelors and is dedicated to the women who've inspired me in the kitchen;
Aji (s),Ma and Nigella Lawson.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Mushroom-Sundried Tomato-Carmalised Onion puffs

Whew! What an awesome day! I say this, not only because it was a Sunday, but because I got to spend the afternoon doing my most favorite thing, Baking! :)
I have been curious about frozen puff pastry for a long time now, but had never gotten around to using it. From the packet instructions that I read standing in the shopping aisle, it seemed very easy and totally do-able. So I decided to give it a shot. I created two fillings for the puffs - one Vegetarian, with Mushrooms, caramalised onions, sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil, and the Non-Vegetarian with Bacon,chicken, mushrooms, seasoned with dried thyme and cracked black pepper.
The results were pretty awesome (if, I may say so myself! :) and I am looking forward to the feedback from friends from work who I intend to feed tomorrow!

Ingredients for Mushroom-Sundried tomato & Caramalised onion puffs: (Makes 6 puffs)

2 tbsp Olive oil
4-5 Button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 medium Onion, thinly sliced
4-5 slices Sundried tomato (from a jar)
3-4 fresh Basil leaves, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp Black pepper, cracked
Salt, as per taste


Method for filling:
1.) Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan. Saute the sliced onions and garlic till the onions are nicely browned.
2.) Add the sliced mushrooms and continue to saute on a medium flame. When the mushrooms are almost cooked, add the chopped fresh basil. Stir for a few minutes, and add the sun-dried tomatoes. Add the cracked pepper. Add salt and mix. Turn off the flame.
Allow the filling to cool to room temperature.


Ingredients for Chicken-Bacon-Mushroom Puffs: (Makes 6-8 puffs)
4-5 Bacon rashers chopped into 1" pieces
100g boneless Chicken, boiled
3-4 Button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 tsp dried Thyme
1/2 tsp cracked Pepper

Method for filling:
1.) Heat a frying pan. Saute the bacon pieces till they're nicely browned and crispy. No oil is needed at this stage.Set aside the sauteed bacon on a paper napkin.
2.) Add the oil to the pan. Saute the onions till brown. Then add the mushrooms. Add the cooked chicken and a few tablespoons of water.
3.) Allow all the contents to cook together, so all the flavours mix nicely. Add the dried Thyme and pepper and mix well. No salt is needed in this mixture, as the bacon is pretty salty. Set aside and allow the filling to cool.

ASSEMBLING THE PUFFS
Ingredients:
1 Pkt ready-to-use frozen Puff pastry
1 Egg, lightly beaten

1.) De-frost the frozen puff pastry (about 45-60 mins). While the pastry defrosts, get on with making the fillings as described above.
2.) Once the pastry is thawed, transfer onto a clean surface to roll. Dust the surface with some plain flour(maida) and dust the pastry dough with flour to keep it from sticking.
3.) Roll out into a sheet about 3-4 mm thick. Cut out a circle (or rectangle, if thats what you like), using a cookie cutter. I used a steel bowl with a sharp ridge for this.

4.) Use a teaspoon and lay out some of the filling in the centre of the circle. Brush some beaten-egg around the edges as shown in the photo.





 5.) Fold one half over the other to form a 'half moon' shape. Pinch the edges together using your thumb and fore finger.






6.) Use a fork to seal the edges. This helps to keep the puff 'closed', to keep the filling from spilling out.





7.) Chill the filled puffs in the fridge while you preheat the oven to 220 deg.C
8.) Lay the filled puffs onto a non-stick baking tray and brush with some of the beaten egg, and bake @ 220 deg. C for 18-20 mins till puffed and golden brown. The beaten egg will add a nice 'glaze' and help the puffs take on a nice colour as they bake.

Enjoy these fresh from the oven. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat by placing in a hot oven for 10-15 mins. Avoid micro-waving as that makes the puff chewy (from previous experience). Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Looks Completely scruptious!!!
    Biatch come back to india and make some for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twas scrumptious and yummmm :)
    Muaahhhahah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one vegetarain..and I really want to have more(1 is not enough)...because i am hungry Thai...55555...hahahaha

    ReplyDelete