As someone who loves a good meal, cooking one, came to me as a natural passion. I belong to a family where meal times consisted of not just food, but also noisy conversation centered around the events of the day and discussing the menu for the next. (ah yes, we are a greedy lot! )

For the most part of my life so far, my contribution in the kitchen was assisting mom and my duties were limited, to chopping veggies and laying the table. Then along came the great Indian wedding, and I was suddenly the queen of my very own kingdom. My curiosity about this magical world, coupled with an enthusiastic sous-chef (my husband, Vineet), led me to take on the challenge of preparing meals on a daily basis, and not succumbing to the convenience of hiring a cook.

This blog is a product of my experiments with food (not all are life threatening :D) for my fellow culinary enthusiasts - especially the newly weds and hungry bachelors and is dedicated to the women who've inspired me in the kitchen;
Aji (s),Ma and Nigella Lawson.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Prawn Coriander Quick Curry

This super-quick Prawn curry needs all of 5 minutes to grind the spice paste and needs about 10 minutes to cook. The fresh Coriander and Coconut milk give this curry a lovely pale green colour...If you have prawns stashed in your freezer as I usually do, then the rest of the ingredients for the curry hardly need any planning in advance!

Ingredients for Curry:
- 20-25 medium Prawns (frozen)            
- 1 small tetrapak Coconut milk (225 ml)
- 1/4 cup Tamarind water

For Spice Paste:
- 5-6 Dry red chillies
- 1 tsp black Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1" piece of Ginger
- 4-5 cloves Garlic
- 1 medium bunch Coriander leaves

Method:
1.) De-frost the prawns under running water and set aside to drain.

2.) Put all the ingredients for the Spice paste in a mixer-grinder along with 1/4 cup of water. Grind to a fine paste.

3.) Heat a non-stick pan. Transfer the spice paste into the pan. Add the coconut milk and stir gently. Allow the gravy to simmer for a few minutes. Add the prawns followed by the tamarind water.

4.) Add salt, as per taste and simmer gently till the prawns are cooked through...about 5-7 minutes.

Enjoy along with piping hot steamed rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment