As someone who loves a good meal, cooking one, came to me as a natural passion. I belong to a family where meal times consisted of not just food, but also noisy conversation centered around the events of the day and discussing the menu for the next. (ah yes, we are a greedy lot! )

For the most part of my life so far, my contribution in the kitchen was assisting mom and my duties were limited, to chopping veggies and laying the table. Then along came the great Indian wedding, and I was suddenly the queen of my very own kingdom. My curiosity about this magical world, coupled with an enthusiastic sous-chef (my husband, Vineet), led me to take on the challenge of preparing meals on a daily basis, and not succumbing to the convenience of hiring a cook.

This blog is a product of my experiments with food (not all are life threatening :D) for my fellow culinary enthusiasts - especially the newly weds and hungry bachelors and is dedicated to the women who've inspired me in the kitchen;
Aji (s),Ma and Nigella Lawson.

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Roast Corn, Sour Cream & Feta Crostini

Menu planning for dinner parties is a lot of fun! Its a great opportunity to explore new recipes, and having an appreciative and hungry audience, is added motivation. I tried a Corn & Feta Crostini for a dinner party that we hosted for our dear friends Seema & Ganesh, and my cousin, Samar, last night. I wanted to keep appetisers light, and something that would pair well with the Fresh Green Grape Sangria that I planned to serve, to get the evening started off... So well... this is how you make it ...

Ingredients:
- Ciabatta bread, 1 leaf (or 1 Baguette)
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream ( or hung yoghurt)
- 1/4 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 1 ear of Corn
- 1/4 cup, Coriander, leaves seperated
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- Lime wedges, enough to squirt lightly

Method:
1.) Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Slice the bread loaf into 1/2" thick slices. Toast in hot oven for about 3-4 minutes, till crisp and warmed.

2.) While the bread toasts, whisk together the Sour Cream and feta together. Roast the corn on the gas flame till sufficiently blackened in parts. Using a sharp knife, slice off the roasted corn kernels into a bowl.

3.) Smear the Sour cream-feta mixture on the toasted Ciabatta. Top with the roasted corn kernels. Lightly sprinkle some of the Red Chilli powder on top and squirt some lime juice onto the topping.

Garnish with a leaf of Coriander, and serve asap along with some delicious Grape Sangria and be transported to yumminess-heaven ! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment