As someone who loves a good meal, cooking one, came to me as a natural passion. I belong to a family where meal times consisted of not just food, but also noisy conversation centered around the events of the day and discussing the menu for the next. (ah yes, we are a greedy lot! )

For the most part of my life so far, my contribution in the kitchen was assisting mom and my duties were limited, to chopping veggies and laying the table. Then along came the great Indian wedding, and I was suddenly the queen of my very own kingdom. My curiosity about this magical world, coupled with an enthusiastic sous-chef (my husband, Vineet), led me to take on the challenge of preparing meals on a daily basis, and not succumbing to the convenience of hiring a cook.

This blog is a product of my experiments with food (not all are life threatening :D) for my fellow culinary enthusiasts - especially the newly weds and hungry bachelors and is dedicated to the women who've inspired me in the kitchen;
Aji (s),Ma and Nigella Lawson.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Stuffed Eggs

Oooh! Stuffed Eggs! Had made these for a party a loooong time ago... and last weekend, they were the perfect choice for a (big) bite-sized appetizer for our poker party. I came across this recipe a while back in a book called 'Simple Cooking for Smart Men' by Karen Anand, something Vineet had 'invested' in during his bachelor days... its the book he has turned to, to impress me with his culinary expertise from time to time... he is very smart after all :)  So here is a slightly adapted version of Karen's original recipe:

Ingredients:
- 6 Eggs (makes 12 halves)
- 1/4 cup Cream cheese
- 3 tbsp Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 small Onion, very finely chopped
- 1/2 Green Capsicum, very finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Worcestshire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Soya Sauce
- 1 long Green Chilli, seeds removed & finely minced
- Freshly cracked Black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 5-6 Fresh Lettuce leaves
- 5-6 Cherry Tomatoes

Method:
1.) Bring a large pot of water to a simmer. Float the eggs gently into the water and boil to cook (about 15-20 minutes). Once boiled, cool under running water slightly and peel and set aside.

2.) Slice the eggs in half along the longer side, such that you get 2 identical halves. Scoop out the cooked yolks into a bowl. Rise the boiled egg whites under cool running water to clean up. Set aside on a paper towel to drain.

3.) Take half the quantity of boiled yolks, and mash with a fork till they're soft and creamy. Whisk in the Cream cheese, Feta, chopped Onions & Capsicum, Chillies, Worcestershire & Soya sauces, and black pepper and salt.

4.) Using a teaspoon, scoop the filling into the hollows of the boiled eggs. Garnish with a little of the chopped Capsicum.

Serve on a bed of fresh, crisp lettuce along with halved cherry tomatoes scattered on the plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment