As someone who loves a good meal, cooking one, came to me as a natural passion. I belong to a family where meal times consisted of not just food, but also noisy conversation centered around the events of the day and discussing the menu for the next. (ah yes, we are a greedy lot! )

For the most part of my life so far, my contribution in the kitchen was assisting mom and my duties were limited, to chopping veggies and laying the table. Then along came the great Indian wedding, and I was suddenly the queen of my very own kingdom. My curiosity about this magical world, coupled with an enthusiastic sous-chef (my husband, Vineet), led me to take on the challenge of preparing meals on a daily basis, and not succumbing to the convenience of hiring a cook.

This blog is a product of my experiments with food (not all are life threatening :D) for my fellow culinary enthusiasts - especially the newly weds and hungry bachelors and is dedicated to the women who've inspired me in the kitchen;
Aji (s),Ma and Nigella Lawson.

Monday, September 26, 2011

Home-made Yoghurt Dip & Chips

Ok, this super easy party appetizer is something that my aunt ( mum's sister) makes very often, and its always the thing that disappears the fastest each time she makes it. It has the creami-ness of cream cheese, minus all the high fat ... the natural tang of the yoghurt and the crunch of the onions and green capsicum... its seriously finger lickin' good, and the only hard part is... is watching it swiftly disappear, while you're left wishing you had made more, so you'd have left overs to greedily eat after the party is over ;)


Ingredients:
- 4 cups Yoghurt ( makes 2 cups of dip)
- 1 medium Onion, very finely chopped
- 1 small Green Capsicum, very finely chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh Coriander, very finely chopped
- Salt & cracked Black Pepper, to taste

Method:
1.) Line a deep bowl with a clean, dry fine muslin/cotton cloth. Scoop the yoghurt into the cloth and tie the fabric in a knot to create a pouch. Hang over the sink, or place a bowl underneath to collect the water from the yoghurt as it drains. Let it hang for atleast 4-5 hours ( or more, depending on the quantity of yoghurt)

2.) Transfer the thick, hung-yoghurt into a mixing bowl. Whisk together along with all of the other ingredients. Garnish with a little sprinkling of chopped capsicum and/ or coriander...and Voila! You're Done! :)

Chill in the refrigerator till its time to serve alongside chips of your choice! Eat up! ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment