As someone who loves a good meal, cooking one, came to me as a natural passion. I belong to a family where meal times consisted of not just food, but also noisy conversation centered around the events of the day and discussing the menu for the next. (ah yes, we are a greedy lot! )

For the most part of my life so far, my contribution in the kitchen was assisting mom and my duties were limited, to chopping veggies and laying the table. Then along came the great Indian wedding, and I was suddenly the queen of my very own kingdom. My curiosity about this magical world, coupled with an enthusiastic sous-chef (my husband, Vineet), led me to take on the challenge of preparing meals on a daily basis, and not succumbing to the convenience of hiring a cook.

This blog is a product of my experiments with food (not all are life threatening :D) for my fellow culinary enthusiasts - especially the newly weds and hungry bachelors and is dedicated to the women who've inspired me in the kitchen;
Aji (s),Ma and Nigella Lawson.

Sunday, October 2, 2011

"Pimms" and Lemonade

Pimms No.1, is a British Gin based liqueur that is served over ice or in cocktails. Pimms and Lemonade used to be the drink of choice on an English summer's day while watching Wimbledon, Cricket or simply lazing in the back garden... (so much fun to say this in my fake Brit accent!) :)

I tried this for the first time at a restaurant called "The Queen & Mangosteen", here in Singapore...served alongside a Ploughman's platter consisting of: Stilton Cheese, Grapes, sliced Ham, Salad leaves and fruit Chutney. Yum!

So anyway, since I didn't have much luck finding a bottle of Pimms No.1 at the Singapore Duty free, I asked Richard, a friend from work, to bring back a bottle for me from Ireland...and his timing couldn't have been more perfect... It was the perfect drink to celebrate my blogs 1st birthday :) God bless you Mr.Richard :)

Ingredients: (Serves 2)
- 90 ml Pimms No.1
- 330 ml (1 small can) Sparkling water/ Soda
- 1 large Lemon
- 5 tbsp finely chopped Apple
- 5 tbsp finely chopped Cucumber
- 3-4 Orange segments, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tsp finely chopped Orange peel
- 3 tbsp finely chopped Strawberries ( I skipped this since I could'nt find any)
- 8-10 Mint leaves, roughly torn
- 3-4 tsp White Sugar, powdered


Method:
1.) In a pitcher, make lemonade using the juice from the lemon, sparkling water and sugar.

2.) Stir in the chopped fruit and mint and add the Pimms No.1 to the mix. Stir using a long spoon.

3.) Chill for atleast 30 mins before serving. Serve over ice in a tall glass, garnished with a sliced orange :)


Vineet and I seriously recommend investing in a bottle of Pimms... pick one up yourself, or ask someone traveling abroad to get one for you, incase it is not available in your city... Trust me... it is a decision you will never regret! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment