As someone who loves a good meal, cooking one, came to me as a natural passion. I belong to a family where meal times consisted of not just food, but also noisy conversation centered around the events of the day and discussing the menu for the next. (ah yes, we are a greedy lot! )

For the most part of my life so far, my contribution in the kitchen was assisting mom and my duties were limited, to chopping veggies and laying the table. Then along came the great Indian wedding, and I was suddenly the queen of my very own kingdom. My curiosity about this magical world, coupled with an enthusiastic sous-chef (my husband, Vineet), led me to take on the challenge of preparing meals on a daily basis, and not succumbing to the convenience of hiring a cook.

This blog is a product of my experiments with food (not all are life threatening :D) for my fellow culinary enthusiasts - especially the newly weds and hungry bachelors and is dedicated to the women who've inspired me in the kitchen;
Aji (s),Ma and Nigella Lawson.

Monday, October 24, 2011

KP's Asian style Baked Salmon with Mushroom fried Rice

This post marks the official inauguration of the new VIP recipe section that I'm introducing to my blog!
Krithika, or KP as she is known to friends, is like me, a major food and cooking enthusiast.
It was about 7 years ago... in a dingy hostel corridor that we got to know each other, and bonded over our mutual love for watermelon, mango and fish... As days, weeks, months went by we explored and discovered some gems of street food in Pune... I'm sure "our" anda-bhurji man still misses his most loyal fans.... (sigh!) Good times!

So, recently KP made a baked Salmon preparation, that involved marinating the salmon in some Ginger, Soya sauce & Vinegar and baking it. Served alongside a flavorful fried rice made with Mushrooms and Red Capsicum, this light and preparation is easy to put together and perfect for those of you who appreciate delicate Asian flavours.

Ingredients for Marinade:

- 2 tsp finely grated Ginger
- 5-6 tbsp Soya sauce
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 3-4 tbsp Rice wine Vinegar
- 3-4 tsp Sesame oil
- 2 boneless Salmon fillets, 150 g each
- 2 tsp Sesame seeds, lightly toasted on a pan

Whisk all the ingredients of the marinade together. Pour onto the Salmon fillets. Rub the marinade all over the fish using your fingers. Set aside to marinate for the atleast 2 hours.
Preheat your oven to 180 deg C. Line a baking tray with aluminum foil. Pat the marinade onto the fish and gently lay onto the baking tray. Reserve the marinade to use in the rice.
Bake the Salmon for about 12-15 minutes till cooked and slightly browned. Sprinkle the fish with the toasted Sesame seeds. Serve immediately!

Ingredients for Fried rice:
- 2 cups pre-cooked long- grain Rice, refrigerated ( I used good ol' Basmati)
- 1 cup finely chopped Mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped Red Capsicum
- 1 medium bunch Spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Vegetable oil
- 1 egg


Method to make the Fried rice:
Heat the oil in a thick bottomed pan.
Saute the chopped spring onions and capsicum. Add the mushrooms and saute.
Add the reserved marinade from the Salmon. Crack the egg into the pan and swirl it around quickly. Using a wooden spoon, scramble the egg before it sets. Add the cooked refrigerated rice and toss.
Taste to check for salt and splash a few drops of Soya sauce if necessary.

Garnish with a sprig of Coriander. Serve immediately with the baked Salmon.
Eat up!


No comments:

Post a Comment