As someone who loves a good meal, cooking one, came to me as a natural passion. I belong to a family where meal times consisted of not just food, but also noisy conversation centered around the events of the day and discussing the menu for the next. (ah yes, we are a greedy lot! )

For the most part of my life so far, my contribution in the kitchen was assisting mom and my duties were limited, to chopping veggies and laying the table. Then along came the great Indian wedding, and I was suddenly the queen of my very own kingdom. My curiosity about this magical world, coupled with an enthusiastic sous-chef (my husband, Vineet), led me to take on the challenge of preparing meals on a daily basis, and not succumbing to the convenience of hiring a cook.

This blog is a product of my experiments with food (not all are life threatening :D) for my fellow culinary enthusiasts - especially the newly weds and hungry bachelors and is dedicated to the women who've inspired me in the kitchen;
Aji (s),Ma and Nigella Lawson.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Chef's Salad & Buttermilk Roast chicken


CHEF'S SALAD
Ingredients:
Iceberg lettuce - torn roughly
Purple cabbage - roughly chopped
Cherry tomatoes - quartered
Avocado - chopped into cubes
Chicken sausage - cubed
Feta Cheese - crumbled

Dressing:
2 tbsp Extra virgin Olive oil + 1 tbsp Red wine vinegar + 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard + Salt

Method:
1. Toss all the chopped veggies and chicken sausage together. Set aside.

2. Whisk the ingredients of the dressing together and pour over the veggies. Toss lightly to mix well. Serve Chilled!


BUTTERMILK ROAST CHICKEN
Ingredients:
6 nos. Chicken drumsticks
3/4 cup plain Dahi (preferably sour)
1 large Garlic clove - bruised
1-1/2 tbsp Cumin powder
1 tsp Pepper powder (coarsely ground)
1 tbsp Honey
Pinch of Salt

Method:
1.  Take a ziplock bag. Add the dahi, garlic, cumin powder, pepper powder, honey and salt and squish around in the bag.
2.  Put the chicken drumsticks into the marinade and seal the bag. Leave to marinate in the fridge for atleast 2-3 hours. ( I marinated the chicken for close to 6 hours)
3.  Preheat the oven to 220deg C. Line a baking tray with aluminum foil. 
4.  Shake off the excess marinade and arrange the drumsticks onto the baking tray. Cook in the oven for about 30-45 mins - till the chicken is tender and slightly scorched in parts. Enjoy along with the Salad and Garlic bread.

GARLIC BREAD: 
For garlic butter -
2 tbsp softened Salted butter + 1 Garlic clove - grated + 1/2 tsp Extra Virgin olive oil + 1/2 tsp Pepper powder + 1/2 tsp Oregano flakes + pinch Salt.

Mix all the ingredients well and spread onto a thickly cut slice of bread (fresh or grilled) of your choice. Happy Eating!!


No comments:

Post a Comment