As someone who loves a good meal, cooking one, came to me as a natural passion. I belong to a family where meal times consisted of not just food, but also noisy conversation centered around the events of the day and discussing the menu for the next. (ah yes, we are a greedy lot! )

For the most part of my life so far, my contribution in the kitchen was assisting mom and my duties were limited, to chopping veggies and laying the table. Then along came the great Indian wedding, and I was suddenly the queen of my very own kingdom. My curiosity about this magical world, coupled with an enthusiastic sous-chef (my husband, Vineet), led me to take on the challenge of preparing meals on a daily basis, and not succumbing to the convenience of hiring a cook.

This blog is a product of my experiments with food (not all are life threatening :D) for my fellow culinary enthusiasts - especially the newly weds and hungry bachelors and is dedicated to the women who've inspired me in the kitchen;
Aji (s),Ma and Nigella Lawson.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Palak Kadhi

So, Monday evening comes around, and I'm sitting around chatting on facebook  reading, celebrating my last free Monday ( I'm starting on a new job next week!) and I suddenly realize, I need to get dinner together...After spending a day generally vegetating, I wanted to be in and out of the kitchen in a jiffy, so I used up the left over dahi i had in the fridge, and a bunch of Spinach and made some (very yummy) Palak kadhi i.e. taakatli palak bhaaji.  
Bachelor boys, this is simple, filling and super quick. Totally do-able at the end of a tiring work day.... Here goes:

Ingredients:   
(Serves 2 with ample leftovers) 
1 bunch Spinach (chopped)
1-1/2 cups Plain dahi (sour)
1/2 cup Peanuts (boiled)
2 tbsp Oil / or Ghee
1 tsp Mustard Seeds (rai)
1 tsp Cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Ginger paste
4-5 Curry leaves (kadipatta) 
1 green Chilli (chopped in 1/2" pcs) 
Salt + Sugar.

Method:
1. Heat oil and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds. When the seeds stop sputtering, add the Turmeric powder and Ginger paste. 

2. Saute the ginger for a few seconds and add the Curry leaves, and chopped chillies.

3. Add the boiled peanuts and lightly fry for a minute or so, then add the chopped Spinach and stir, till the Spinach wilts and cooks through.

4. Finally, add the Dahi and a 1/4 cup of water and stir to mix well. Bring to a boil while stirring continuously to keep the dahi from curdling. Add salt & sugar as per preferance.


*If the dahi that you have is'nt sour enough, add a few drops of lemon juice or 1/2 tsp of Tamarind paste.*
 

1 comment:

  1. Absolute delight to see the pic. Love Palakachi takatli bhaji. I feel should have dropped over 4 dinner yest at ur place....lol

    ReplyDelete