As someone who loves a good meal, cooking one, came to me as a natural passion. I belong to a family where meal times consisted of not just food, but also noisy conversation centered around the events of the day and discussing the menu for the next. (ah yes, we are a greedy lot! )

For the most part of my life so far, my contribution in the kitchen was assisting mom and my duties were limited, to chopping veggies and laying the table. Then along came the great Indian wedding, and I was suddenly the queen of my very own kingdom. My curiosity about this magical world, coupled with an enthusiastic sous-chef (my husband, Vineet), led me to take on the challenge of preparing meals on a daily basis, and not succumbing to the convenience of hiring a cook.

This blog is a product of my experiments with food (not all are life threatening :D) for my fellow culinary enthusiasts - especially the newly weds and hungry bachelors and is dedicated to the women who've inspired me in the kitchen;
Aji (s),Ma and Nigella Lawson.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Quick 'n Easy Green Chilli Pickle

My grandmother makes this brilliant, spicy yet tangy pickled green chillies, that go very well with, well, almost anything... plain warm rotis, dal-rice, paranthas, and even just a slice of bread! I made this to go with the assorted paranthas I made for Sunday lunch.

*Since this pickle is low on salt and oil, store it in a glass bottle in the refrigerator.*

Ingredients:
1 cup Green chillies (chopped into 1/2" pieces)
1 tbsp whole black Mustard seeds( rai)
1 tbsp whole Fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
1/2 tbsp Mustard seeds- coarsely ground
1/2 tbsp Fenugreek seeds-coarsely ground
4-5 Lemons ( juice)
1/4 cup Olive / refined vegetable Oil
1/2 tsp Asafoetida powder (Heeng)
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder + Salt (as per taste)


1.  Wash and dry the green chillies and chop them into 1/2" long pieces. Put into a glass bowl and set aside.
2.  Mix the Turmeric powder, Salt , coarsely ground Mustard & Fenugreek seeds into the chopped chillies (dry mixture)
3.  Heat the oil and lightly fry the whole fenugreek & mustard seeds till they start sputtering. Switch off the flame and add the heeng. Pour entire mixture onto the chillies.
4.  Add the lemon juice and mix well.
5. Cover tightly and let this sit in the refrigerator overnight (atleast 5-6 hours) till all the flavours are released into the oil and the juices. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Remember this from MIT hostel days! Had to make it... made it today... will try it with the parathas tomorrow :) hopefully done justice!

    ReplyDelete